Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Time for Sage's Chicken Enchiladas!

Well here we are again, time for dinner. Since I cooked a BUNCH of chicken the day before in the crock pot, it was time to turn it into 'something' and Mexican was on my mind!!
So here ya go..here's what I did
Precook the chicken (boil it or however, just find some extra chicken!) Now I must say, my chicken was SOOO cooked, that I didn't have to pick the chicken from the bones, I just had to pick the bones out! (if you boil your chicken, save the broth for soup on another day..freeze it!

I used a lot of chicken and made a whole pan of very large enchiladas, but on average you would use about 2lbs of chicken.
Here's the rest of the ingredients:

1 pkgs cream cheese
1/2 onion
1/2 bell pepper
1 garlic clove, chopped or 1 T. minced garlic
2 tomatoes (small to medium)
2 jalapenos (chopped, seeds removed)
dash or two of red crushed pepper
1 T. cumin
1 t. chili powder
salt & pepper
Cilantro (if you have it) If you don't, see hint below.
flour tortilla wrappers
1 C. grated cheddar cheese
1/2 C (or more) salsa
shredded lettuce
Sour cream
Ready? Let's cook!

Mix your chicken with one package of cream cheese.
Saute the onions, jalapenos, garlic and bell pepper in a bit of butter or oil (your choice). Add to the chicken.


Chop up one tomato in medium/small chunks and toss in the skillet. Stir just to heat. Add to the chicken.
Add all spices and mix well. Taste! (add salt and pepper if needed or any other spice you'd like!)
I usually add some cilantro at this point but I didn't have any today, but here's what I did have



It's a cilantro cooking base, you can find in your Mexican food section of the grocers...so I added about 2 Tablespoons, and some extra minced garlic!

Time to wrap! Get your tortilla's warm (they are easier to wrap if they are warm) I used the LARGE tortillas. Place two or three large spoons of your filling near one edge of the tortilla, fold over the edge, roll once, fold in the ends and continue rolling and place in a casserole dish, seam side down. Continue until all the filling is gone!

Top with the salsa and cheese. Bake at 350 for about 15-20 mins (till heated through and cheese is melted)
Serve with Shredded lettuce and the other chopped tomato topped with sour cream, extra salsa and maybe even some guacamole! Don't forget the chips!


HAPPY COOKING!! OLE'!!

No comments: