Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Here we are..the end of day 4

And it sure does seem like forever! I'm still not close to being done, but I will say I'm only about 2 days away from the cabinets being finished!

A few 'disappointments' came...all my fault. When I bought the paint, I told the guy..I didn't want shiny paint. Low and behold, he gave me 'enamel' which is a shiny paint. I didn't notice..You can't take paint back and heck..who wants to waste almost 30$! So, I dealt with it, or will deal with it. It's not as shiny as I thought it was going to be, but it's still got a shine to it. I'm trying to look on the bright side. Enamel will withstand just about anything, is tough and extremely washable, so these are all good things for a kitchen.

Anyway, I've sanded and primed all the doors and drawer fronts. They have all now had at least 1 coat of the real paint...and many have had their second coat on at least one side. Realize I have 19 cabinet doors, and you have to double that cuz you're painting both sides! I only have space to do 8 at a time...with a 2 hour dry time between coats! That makes for a long duration of cabinet painting!

The hinges and knobs were all painted black today. I don't think the paint is going to stick to the knobs, so I may have to go buy new 'wooden' ones and paint those. No big deal there either, I can use these till I do that..(a week or so)

After all the cabinet doors are painted (hopefully tonight) they will have to cure for at least 24 hours before I can put them up. That makes it at least Thursday morning. Again, looking on the bright side, I'll have my kitchen back into some semblance of order by the weekend.

As soon as the cabinets are all finished, cured and put back together, I'll begin again on the walls, taping first then painting with primer.
Then I'll mix my own color with the two left over paints (from the dinning room.a spicy mustard yellow and from the kitchen) and paint the walls.

WHEW!
Enjoy the slide show!
I'll post before and afters soon!


See ya next time......down on the farm!

Sage

No comments: