Monday, March 2, 2009

Let's talk Turkey!

OK, it's Turkey Pot Pie time!

here's what I started with:
One package turkey wings: I got em on sale! $3!! It's over 3lbs with bones.

So here's where I began. I put these in a big pot of salted water and started boiling them.

It's a lot of meat..trust me!

While they were cooking, I grabbed some celery (1 large stalk), some garlic..one clove and chopped them up. I got out a 1lb bag of mixed veggies.
Simple enough right?

When the wings were done, I put them in a bowl and strained the cooking liquid into a 4 cup measuring cup, adding water to bring the level to 4 Cups. (if you have more, that's ok, but no more the 5 Cups). Then..picked all the meat off the bones and added that back to the broth along with the celery, mixed veggies and garlic.



I added 2 teaspoons powdered chicken bouillon, pepper and a tad of thyme (about 1/4 t) to the pot.
Then I measured out 2 big spoons of corn starch, into measuring cup and added 1/2 Cup of COLD water (You can add up to a cup if you are short on broth in the pot) and whisked till smooth.


Brought the broth up to boiling and added the cornstarch and water mix. Stir till it thickens.

Turn the heat down and make your biscuits. I guess you could cheat and use frozen or 'tube' biscuits, but at this point..why? Just make your favorite biscuit, pat them out and cut out at least 12-15 biscuits.
Pour your thickened mixture into a large casserole dish. Top with biscuits. (I didn't put as many biscuits on the top this time as I usually do, but..it all works!)


I just happened to have about 1/3 C of shredded cheese in the fridge, so went and ahead and tossed that on the top.

Plop it in the oven, at 400, bake for 20 minutes till the biscuits get nice and brown...or as brown as you like them.
*HINT: Put an oven liner or a cookie sheet under you casserole dish, it will bubble over (unless you use a really big casserole dish!)

And here ya go! Dinner..one dish, nothing else needed to serve..cept a spoon and a bowl! (Hubby couldn't wait much longer, I even served this before my biscuits got as brown as I like them, but they were still done and tasty, so..I figured..OHH why not!)
Hope you enjoyed this..it's a pretty easy recipe, very few ingredients and not too time consuming.
Give it a try, turkey is pretty cheap and this would feed ..ohh probably 6 no problem!
Total cost for me was about..$6. Can't beat that if you're feeding six people! That's like getting one thing per person at McDonald's $1 menu! (and you don't charge tax!)

No comments: