Tuesday, March 31, 2009

About the wall color of the kitchen

Hi all!
I've had quite a few ask me about the color of the walls in the kitchen. Well, bad news, you can't buy it. (aww..I know..I heard that audible sigh!) BUT..and yes there is a but, you CAN MAKE IT, just like I did!

When it came to putting a color on the walls of the kitchen, I wanted to 'match' the dinning room, but didn't want to be as 'dark' as the dinning room. I wanted it to 'flow'.
So here's what I did.
Since I only had about 1/2 gallon of what was left from the dinning room, I knew it wouldn't be enough (in the end, it probably would have, but I like having extra paint to 'coordinate' with, so off to the dreaded 'walmart' to see if I could match it up.
I grabbed the original paint can lid, (which was from Behr, Home Depot)that had the recipe right on the top, jumped in the car and zoomed out. Walmart matched it up pretty good..using "Kilz Casual Colors": "Golden Pyramid, B24. I then purchased a gallon of basic 'white wall and trim, by Color Place, satin finish. While I was there, I picked up an empty 5 gallon bucket with lid.

Rushing home to make my creation, I dumped the entire gallon of white paint into the 5 gallon bucket and started putting about '2 cups' at a time of the yellow Golden Pyramid in mixing after each addition, till I had just the color I wanted. Total use, was just about 3/4's of the gallon of yellow to one gallon of white.
It gave me this nice 'sandy yellow toned' color, that was in the same tone/hue of my dinning room.
That's how I did it and thus the 'Saged Golden Butter Cream" color was created. :) (like that name?) LOL
I encourage EVERYONE to play with paints. Start with your original color and add to it. Darken it, lighten it, whatever! Play with it. It's not too expensive of a toy and you can always use 'flubs' on outside projects!

See ya next time......down on the farm!

Sage

No comments: