Friday, May 2, 2008

Garden Booty!

What a beautiful color! RED! This was the booty I gathered from the garden this morning. I guess you can tell what we'll be having for dinner tonight! SALAD! (with radishes of course!) If you look close, there are even a few very tender, very young white radishes in the back. I tend to pick a few of those when they are young, becaues those little boogers can be HOT! They are a white chinese radish and do carry a tang!

It's watering day today, well this evening. I always water as soon as the garden gets in shade, a few hours before sunset. We haven't had any rain for a few days, so I have to be mother nature and produce my own. It's been in the 80's here for the past few days, so watering is a need!


There are a ton of squash blooms, some tomato blooms and the turnips are just about ready to pick for some turnip greens. That'll be my Sunday garden chore. I plant heavy on the turnips at first. Then when the tops get big enough to produce a 'mess' as my mother called it, I'll thin for the first time, giving me enough for dinner. Yumm fresh, young tender turnip greens! Nothing better. I'll thin again in a few weeks time, then I'll only pick the outer leaves and leave the turnips to get big.

Well, I'll leave you with a picture I took earlier this year when wandering around the yard and the plum tree was in full bloom. Enjoy!


Make sure you meet me next time ...................

down by
the garden gate!

No comments: