Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Canner time

Ok...so here's the 'scoop'! Scoop..pumpkin..get it? LOL
The pumpkin was baked. I scooped the soft pumpkin into the jars filling them about 1/2 or a little better with pumpkin.(trust me..it was a soft squishy dense product..there was no ability to cut in chunks..period!)
I boiled up a medium syrup..for every 3 cups of water, I used 1 & 3/4 C sugar.

Lids were prepared, rims were wiped and jars sealed. Into the canner they went. I also opted to put one quart in the freezer and I still have some in the fridge which I intend to make pumpkin butter with. I don't know that I'll can that or freezer (I KNOW you're not supposed to can it, but...)
The rocker on my canner is singing sweetly to me, rocking back and forth as I type. YUM..canned pre-sweetened (slightly) pumpkin! Easy enough to use for pumpkin pies, bread, muffins or quick pumpkin butter to stick in the fridge for the week.

If you've never had pumpkin butter then let me tell you, it's like eating pumpkin pie! (on toast!)
So below you will find a pumpkin butter recipe. Tomorrow, I'll try to post pics of the canned pumpkin. :) ENJOY!

PUMPKIN BUTTER

3 1/2 to 4 Cups of pumpkin puree (your own or you can use store bought canned pumpkin*)
2 tsp. vanilla extract
3/4 C. apple cider
1 C. brown sugar OR 1 1/2 C. white sugar
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. ground nutmeg

(Hint: You can also add cloves to this mix, but cloves are extremely strong, be mindful of how much you add. Start small, taste and add to your liking. I usually add about 1/2 tsp to this mix)

Combine all ingredients into a large pot, mix well and bring to a boil. Simmer 30 mins. Put into sterilized jars, cap and let cool. Refrigerate and use. :)
*NOT PUMPKIN PIE MIX!You'll never be sorry..trust me. 


No comments: