Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Remember ...The Crock Pot Pork

Last week I prepared a Crock Pot Pork dinner..served over noodles. Was DELISH! You can find it here. There was quite a bit of that leftover so I put it in the back of the fridge where it's the coldest and I waited.

It was eaten for lunch two or three times and then sort of ignored and I knew then I'd have to revamp it for it gain appeal again. . So last night was the revamp.
I pulled out the pork and gravy and dumped it into a big bowl. I added one can of evaporated milk, one can of cream of mushroom soup, one can of water, and one medium bag of mixed veggies. Salt and pepper and into a greased casserole dish it went. I preheated the oven at this point and proceeded to my bread making area. Whipping up a huge batch of homemade buttermilk biscuits, I cut them out and laid them on top of the now revamped, souped up, veggie laden base.
What was this mystery dish?? Well it was KA POT PIE!  (the KA stands for Kick Ass!) Oh yeah. Bake in oven @ 400 for about 35 mins (or until bubbly and biscuits are golden)
And you know what, that pork and gravy that was going begging in the back of the fridge barely has ANY leftovers today. Go figure.
We do what we must and boy did I stretch my dollar on that dish!
Your Frugal tip of the day. DO NOT GIVE UP ON SOMETHING. Rehash it, make it new, put a spin on it and recook it or remake it different! NEVER GIVE UP!
( I so wish I had taken a picture of it, it was a most beautiful thing!) Maybe next time!

What's on the table for dinner tonight??
Chicken & gnocchi w/ cream sauce
Garlic bread
Steamed broccoli
Two weeks ago I found boneless skinless chicken breast on sale .. for 1.78$ a pound.  When I got  home, I began the process of 'making the most out of this purchase.
I cut the little side strips off the breast and bagged them up, total bags of strips = 2. I'm using one bag of strips tonight.
With the large pieces of breasts that remained  I cut them in half as if you were butterflying them, but cut all the way through, then cut the bottom tips off each one. I put 6 cut breast pieces to a bag, total bags= 4.
What did I do with the tips I cut off? Into a freezer bag of course, now I have 1 bag of 'bits and pieces' to use for soup.
How many meals does that make?? Eight. I can get 7 meals out of the one package of breasts. Total cost of the package was 10.58 round up to 11$ ..that means the meat in each meal will cost: $1.57. WOOOHOOOOO! I'm all about less then $2!

No comments: