Friday, January 28, 2011

Ohh the blueberries!

Blueberry Cake..yumm..what could be better or easier..so, following Georgia Farm Woman's recipe found here  over at "Life on a Southern Farm" (which I encourage you to visit for a load of cuteness) I commenced to baking. The only problem was, I didn't have any peaches, but I DID have blueberries! (and loads of them) Sooo I grabbed out a home canned jar of blueberries:

Home canned blueberries
And strained them, reserving the juice. (which was a light syrup)
Now, the reserved liquid is supposed to be used in the cake for the wetness, but I think to myself "self, if you do that you're going to have a purple cake..not that *I* would mind, but someone else might" So, I used water instead but sat aside the juice for another use.
Strained, reserving juice.
I followed her instructions about the butter, the brown sugar and nuts. (Oh, I didn't measure the nuts, just tossed in a large handful and broke them up in skillet)

YUMMMMM! Nuts, sugar and butter..what ELSE could you want? 



Added the blueberries
 Added in the blueberries, mixed up the batter remembering to use water instead of blueberry juice for the liquid in the recipe.and poured!


Blueberries float, did you know that? Popped into oven, timer set 35 mins.





 Here's what I did with the blueberry syrup. Pour it into a saucepan to heat on medium heat. Add 1/2 c. sugar (since this was a light syrup when I canned them). Bring to a boil and stir and boil 2 mins then removed from heat. Now, I have thickened blueberry syrup to drizzle on top. :)
Rolling boil..2 minutes
Thirty-five minutes later..LOOKY LOOKY what I've got! YUM.. so here comes the test, turning it OUT of the pan, intact not to mention being able to do it! Ready...?? HERE GOES!
Ohmygoodness!

First cut, still warm! Time for the syrup!
This calls for fresh coffee!
 Keeping it real!! Here's the mess!
.

2 comments:

ga.farmwoman said...

Mmmm, that looks so good with the blueberries!
I like the way you make the syrup to go on top.
Now, I need to try it with the blueberries. Or strawberries. I have a can of strawberries left!

Have a great weekend.
Pam

Sage said...

Yep..it WAS good! Matter of fact, the hubby has requested I make two of the blueberry so he can take them to work and share! I've since made one with some home canned pears. Yumm good, but the blueberry is still the fav around here so far. Can't thank you enough for the recipe! THANKS AGAIN!