Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Leftovers from Sunday!

So..for Sunday dinner we had guests. Just a few. Our menu was 'grilled steak', mashed potatoes and gravy, broccoli (steamed), corn on the cob & rolls. I love big family dinners.
And I sure did have some leftovers. (mashed potatoes, broccoli and gravy & rolls)

So here it was Monday and I already had something planned for dinner. But Tuesday rolled around and I had no plans. I love revamping leftovers so that's where I began..in the fridge.
The day had turned cold and blustery, it was what I call a 'soup' day.

Wow..I had all the makings for some fabulous potato soup. I pulled out the leftover mashed potatoes and some 1/2 and 1/2 (or milk, either works)
I cut a pound of bacon into 4 even sections and cooked one section, put the other sections back in the fridge for later use. Cut up one onion into a medium size chop and added those to the bacon drippings and fried em up. Drained all that and crumbled the bacon into the onions.
I peeled 3 more potatoes, cubed them and boiled them till firm tender (not too squishy). Drained off the water and added the mashed potatoes and enough milk or 1/2 and 1/2 to make a VERY thick creamy soup base. Then I tossed in the bacon and onions along with about a cup of chicken broth. Salt and pepper to taste.
WALLA! Done..dinner is served. Heat up the leftover rolls and you've got a comfort food dinner for such a blustery cold day.

Here's a tip. Want to 'pep up the potato soup'?..at the last minute before serving add the leftover broccoli. No need to cook it, it will heat up from the soup. Top each bowl off with some shredded cheese and you've created the ultimate leftover potato/broccoli/bacon/cheese soup. YUM!!

Give it a try..you wont be disappointed!


So what did you pull out for "MOVE IT OUT MONDAY?" Don't forget to post by Saturday!

No comments: