Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Hello to all my fellow Hedgewives!

Since today was Tuesday and according to the old standard, Iron on Tuesday, that's what I did.
I had washed some dinning linens yesterday so today, I grabbed up the ironing board and ironed the dinner napkins. Not because they had to be, but because I wanted to.

Nope, I don't use paper napkins, or paper towels. I guess my line of thinking is ..'why would I buy something to simply throw it in the trash?", that's how I feel when it comes to paper towels and napkins. It doesn't take much extra for me to toss cloth dinner napkins in with the towels or the kitchen laundry.

Seriously, let's think about this. Most people use paper towels to do one of two things. Either wipe up a spill or dry their hands. So, picture it. You wash your hands or get your hands wet at the kitchen sink, grab at the paper towel roll, snatch one off, wipe your hands a few times and 'toss'.. into the trash it goes. WHY? Wouldn't it be just as easy to grab a regular kitchen towel that you probably have hanging on the front of your stove very near the sink and dry your hands on that, and rehang the towel? Or when you have a spill, grab the kitchen dishcloth and wipe up the spill? Ok, it may take a few times to get it all, but then you have the dishcloth handy to rewet and rewipe the area to get any 'sticky residue' left over. I just don't see the use of paper towels. But I can tell you this, the manufacturers LOVE the idea that people think they can't live without them.
My grandmother never used a paper towel, nor did the many women who came before her. We still got here, she still survived a day in the kitchen without one. I guess I can to!

So let me hear it from all the Hedgewives out there, paper or no?

No comments: