Saturday, May 10, 2008

Let's take a look

Around the blueberry bushes shall we??

I took these pictures a few weeks back when things were done blooming and the fruit had started to emerge.
They are even more full now, but as it's raining this morning I can't really go snap any pictures.

Since these pictures were taken, I've hung the disposable type of metal pie pans in and around the bushes to keep the birds at bay. The "shiney" as they spin, and the noise as they hit the bush and the metal bars that I have them hung on seem to do the trick at keeping them away.

We lost most of our blueberry crop last year due to a late frost, and then the birds took the rest. Good thing I had saved most from the previous year, I'm down to my last frozen bag of berries!
That's it for the garden posts today, as soon as the rain stops, I'l be heading outside to transfer some more of that fertilized hay to the garden, then clean the chicken coop for more!

Till next time..meet me at the garden gate!

1 comment:

Rebecca of Sunny Morning Farm said...

Hanging CD's by string also keeps the birds away!! I tried this last year in the corn which we lose every year 2 or 3 plantings worth to crows, and It kept them out!

It looks really cute when the wind is twirling them too. They say the birds think they are eyeballs looking at them. It puts on quite a light display too when the sun is shining on them as they are twirling.

Just drill a small hole in the edge and hang them down from a string so they can twirl freely.